Friday, September 25, 2009

Maggi Mee, Fresh Figs and Basil



I was excited the other day when I stumbled upon packets of Maggi Mee at Auchan, another chain of hypermarket in France, just like Carrefour. I'd like to consider myself as the 'adaptable' woman, y'know, not always hung up over things I grew up with - things like maid service, teh tarik, and of course, the infamous Maggi Mee. We all know that it's not really good for you - after all its fast food. But who can fight the power of desire? And above all quick, light ready-in-2-minutes meal. Once in a while I would get my parents to send me a box of these bright yellow packets of flavoured noodles. And to my surprise, I discovered that you can even get Maggi Mee in Chateauroux, the city with that one Malaysian, yours truly here. I decided to sample one to check whether they taste as mind-boggling hot as the one I get delivered by post from Malaysia.

Verdict: it's the same recipe! (too hot for what I was used to before)



Before I discovered the practice of eating food during it's season, I never knew figs to be other than the ugly-looking dried version. Fresh figs are funny to eat and marvelous to look at. Last night, we had figue au miel for dessert.



I love Basil. I love the plant. I love it's taste. And I love pesto. I thought that it deserves an inclusion in my blog entry today as I had purchased a pot to keep indoors this winter (if it survives). That's all.

4 comments:

Bee Ean said...

I found this in Auchan too but don't really like the taste. Maybe afterall I was not a big fun to Asam laksa taste. I prefer curry favor.

Hey, thanks for dropping by my blog. I read your earlier entries, and I see myself at the early stage of integration into this country. I hope it is getting better now with two adorable children here...

And I wish one day all our children will be recognized by the government as Malaysian.

Dida said...

I expected the taste to be "Europeanised" and the chilli toned down.. but apparently not! Wonder who's eating them!

I am still at the stage of constructing and modifying my blog, although I started it 2 years ago! As you will see, there is a big gap between the older entries - blame it on 2 pregnancies back to back and then toddler-raising!

I am happy to have found your site and to read all your honest stories - many of them, very informative and inspiring. I don't know how many Malaysians with French spouses are currently residing in France... all I know is that that our Embassy has around 2000 on record of Malaysian living in France - not many really.

I wish that slowly, more and more of people like us get connected online and be able to share our life experiences and learn from each other.

roni bergugnat said...

Hi Dida,
Looking at the maggi mee picture made my mouth water!!!! I don't know how long its been since I had it - I should have had some before I left KL :(
Thanks for connecting with me via my blog! Its so nice to hear from another Malaysian! Makes me feel less homesick!

maanoj said...

hi i am actually an exchange student from Malaysia in France I stay in the north, Lille. And i miss maggi:(