Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Right Kind of Awkward

I don't know what to title my post today, so I decided to use my favourite phrase of the day which I heard from Lily Allen in the car, while driving to Carrefour after dropping of the kids at their schools.

The Chilli Con Carne of last night was surprisingly delicious but unfortunately it was a total failure with the kids (sigh). It went straight into the tupperware last night and into the fridge. That will make our dinner for tonight. I am back to square one. Still bewildered about what to cook for the kids (sigh again).

On a happier note, my cousin's daughter (what would she be? My second niece?) who is married to a Norwegian and lives in Oslo, emailed me good news by telling me that they may have found my long lost Norwegian friend, Monica Ehly Lovald. There is a street address and a phone number which I will try and call when I have some clear time.

Monica was my best friend when we were in secondary school in Brussels. The quirky and the shy, that was us, I guess. Although we were friends for a number of years until I lost touch with her when our families moved away from Belgium, I never knew much about her family, except that she had a younger brother named Lars and a mother who was Canadian. When I googled her recently, to my surprise, I discovered that her father was an important person. He was an Ambassador to the UN and a Special Envoy for Financing for Development for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Wow. Well, I hope that it was her father, because when I image-googled him, he resembled so much my friend.

I was quite a glutton today for lunch. Perhaps because I was alone, which means no-holds-barred! I had a crispy Tandoori Chicken sandwich, a couple of Financier and a Choux Chantilly! Just for the record ;) ...

No comments: