Monday, September 14, 2009

Tonight I Make Chilli Con Carne for the Kids

Today I am in a total state of blur-ness... the issue today is what to feed the kids for dinner. As Rayan, now 3 and Adam, nearly 2, reach the age of choosy-ness, I am becoming more and more challenged with their wants and don't-wants. Feeding them for dinner has never been an issue, until recently. Before, it was all about, getting whatever vegetables available in the fridge and steaming and blending them with my trusted "bledicook". The result has always looked like something coming out of a sick dog's mouth, but my sons had been loving every single spoon of 'em! PLUS, they were healthy! Extremely low in salt and nearly no unhealthy fats in every serving. Wonderul mom. Now, mom, or Maman as I am called (still strange to my ears), is not so wonderful anymore. Dinner time is beginning to be harder. One now knows how to say, it's not good (Ce n'est pas bon..) and the other just pushes his plate and frantically moves his hands in a "no no" manner.

What do I make for these choosy kids of mine so that they will enjoy dinner time again? It's not helping that the Ecole Maternelle and the Creche is feeding them with Elysee-type food... starters, main, desserts, the works, all in 3-Michelin style cuisine. Now I am put in an uncomfy position of constantly being dumstruck when it comes to dinner time.

So, what do I do, as what all pro-internet moms do? I googled "what to feed my 2 and 3 year olds"! Most of the top results were of American origin. As usual. I browse and I browse and finally gave in to all that's American. Forget boring steak hache and puree. Forget Mame's "soupe".

Tonight, I will make from scratch, the famous, Chilli Con Carne!

(Watch out kids, andle, andle, yariva, yariva...MeHico is here in France!)

No comments: